This salad! Another one of Ottolenghi’s surprises. Not that you wouldn’t expect any thing less from this great chef… he continues to blow me away with new flavor combinations. I’ve made this salad so many times by now. It’s one in the quality range quick, easy, and like I said, wonderful flavors. A brilliant combination.
Amazing spinach date almond salad
This recipe comes from Ottolenghi and Sammi Tamimi’s cookbook Jerusalem. Dates & red union, pita bread, almonds & sumac (I’ve used za’atar a few times as well)…. I would have not come up with it! If you read my blog more often, you know it’s not a secret that I cook a lot with almond and dates. Other than this salad, I use them for baking or drinks.
Easy and quick
It’s by far one of the best salads to make when you don’t have much time short before dinner. You can easily to prepare most of it ahead of time. In case you don’t have za’atar or sumac, it’s worth buying it. These spices are great for other dishes too, check out this mouthwatering pumpkin recipe.
For the people who asked me so many times to share this recipe: here it is! ENJOY!
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 ounces dates (100 grams) pitted and quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (30 grams)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 small pitas, roughly torn into 1 1/2 -inch pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds (75 grams), coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sumac or za'atar
- 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes
- 5 to 6 ounces (baby) spinach leaves (150 grams)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Mix the vinegar, onion and dates in a small bowl. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes, then drain any residual vinegar and discard.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add pita and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring all the time, until pita is golden. Add almonds and continue cooking until pita is crunchy and browned and almonds are toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and mix in sumac, chile flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside to cool.
- When ready to serve, toss spinach leaves with pita mix in a large mixing bowl. Add dates and red onion, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil (I usually add some more), the lemon juice and another pinch of salt.
- Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.