Use almond flour if you don’t have almond pulp
Not long ago, I blogged about how to (easily!) make almond milk with a slowjuicer. Of course an almond pulp recipe followed soon after that > cookies! This was a nice first try-out, but I was sure I could find a better version or develop one. I found this almond pulp chocolate chip bars on The Vegan 8! Very nice website, with vegan recipes (all max. 8 ingredients).
On the road
I’ve been traveling a lot in the past month. First for a photoshoot to Dubai! After that I was home for three days and left for New York to spend time with my love (happy holidays:-D). Running and flying around and ‘end of the year’-hectic stuff… Chaotic is an understatement … Eating good (and especially pure) food can be a challenge in these kind of situations. These healthy and delicious bars, to grab for on the road, definitely help! Make a batch of them. It is a delicious snack for on train, car or plane!
Voila, blog one in 2015. I hope that many blogs will follow (I have the biggest plans …) and that you will read them with as much fun as I have to make them.
(… Belated) Happy & Healthy New Year! 😉
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, room temperature (coconut nectar, agave etc.)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (28 g)
- 1 cup almond pulp or blanched almond flour (107 g almond pulp)
- 1 cup gluten-free whole rolled oats, not quick oats (96 g)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy roasted almond butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees and line a 9X5 loaf pan with parchment paper hanging over the sides for easy removal later.
- Mix the syrup and flaxseed in a cup well with a fork and set aside for 10 minutes to gel up. Do not skip this step, as it is what acts as the "egg" and binds the bars to hold their shape.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond pulp > make sure the pulp is dry (or almond flour), oats, cinnamon and salt and whisk well. Stir in the chocolate chips. I prefer mini because they disburse well and stay in tact better.
- After the 10 minutes is up for the syrup and flaxseed mixture, stir in the almond butter and vanilla until very smooth. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir for a couple of minutes until very sticky and absorbed, pressing with the back of your spoon to help mix.
- Add the dough to the loaf pan and spread out evenly and flat with a rubber spatula. You can slightly dampen your fingers to help press it down around the edges, as it will be sticky.
- For dough using almond pulp, bake for 30-32 minutes until very golden brown and firm on top. For dough using almond flour, bake about 27-30 minutes until very golden brown and firm on top.
- Cool 1 hour before cutting, or they will fall apart. They firm up a lot as they cool. If desired, melt some chocolate chips and drizzle the tops for added sweetness or for presentation purposes. Honestly, they are plenty delicious without it, I just did it more for looks. Slice very carefully into 8 bars. Wrap each individually in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. They will hold their shape very well this way and it makes for an easy grab-and-go snack!