Strawberry oatmeal bars with homemade jam Jump to recipe
I found this very nice recipe on the website Oh She Glows, that my friend Evelijn showed me. It has loads of (VERY YUMMIE!!!) vegan recipes. All the healthy stuff!
These oat bars are fantastic. Like I said with the granola… “Will I ever buy granola in the store again?!” I could say the same about those oat bars. They’re easily prepared, healthy, made from scratch – with the home made jam -, perfect for breakfast or a afternoon snack.
Strawberry Oat Bars With Homemade Jam
- >> For Oat Base:
- 1.5 cups regular oats
- 1 cup whole-grain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup (coconut) sugar
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds+ 4 tbsp warm water, mixed)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (for topping only)
- >> For Strawberry chia seed Jam:
- 2 & 1/4 cups chopped strawberries, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces OR approx 1 cup pre-made jam
- 3-4 tbsp sugar, to taste
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Line a square pan with parchment paper and oil the sides of the pan and base.
- In a medium sized pot, add the chopped strawberries and sugar.
- Heat over low until the strawberries begin to sweat and it gets a bit watery. Once it heats down a bit, add in the chia seeds, and stir well. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low to medium heat for at least 10 minutes. Once it has thickened a bit, remove from heat and cool for 5-10 mins. You may also add arrowroot powder to thicken it up more if desired, but I didn’t have any.
- In a small bowl, mix the chia or flax egg and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the oat base dry ingredients: oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter, maple syrup, almond milk, and chia egg. Stir well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well, using hands if necessary.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the dough for the topping. Pour the oat mixture onto the square pan and press down with fingers.
- Use a pastry roller to smooth out if desired.
- Pour on strawberry mixture and smooth out.
- Now sprinkle on the reserved 1/2 cup oat mixture and sprinkle on.
- Now sprinkle on 1 tbsp of sesame seeds or coconut.
- Bake at 350F/175C for approximately 30 minutes.
- Allow to fully cool for at least 30-40 minutes before gently removing from pan. Slice and then store in a container in the fridge to keep firm.
Source: Oh She Glows