No apple pulp? Use apples 😉
Ai … it’s been a few weeks since I posted the apple pulp tarts photo on Instagram. The recipe would follow soon, I said … wOOps. It took a little longer than planned. I wanted to make something new with apple pulp for a while. And had apple pie plans as well. The choice to combine these two was made easily when Isaw the apple pie contest from Jamie Magazine on Instagram. That’s why I posted the photo on Instagram. And the recipe… yes… only now.
The reason for my delayed post: I lost my notes + my past month was to crazy busy for a remake of the pie. I better forget about the Jamie Magazine publication ;). Not that a recipe was required (it was all about the photo’s), but still… Anyhow, I finally made the pie again!
Apple pulp purpose
I made something with apple pulp before. Muffins. Nice, but not impressive. This pie is different. + Tasted, tested & approved by different friends. I’m glad with this good (and healthy too by the way) apple pulp purpose, since I juice apples quite often.
Crust, nut butter, apple pulp, slices of apple and caramel …
This apple pulp pie has sugar-free crust, a layer of nut butter, apple pulp with dates and lemon, a layer of apples and caramel … (without whipped cream – with almond milk). Quite a few elements. So, plan some time for preparing.
I’d love to know what you think about this no waste apple pulp pie!
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Tip: use cold ingredients. It is best to keep the butter in the freezer (take out half an hour before usage) and the flour in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups pulp of an apple juice like this apple juice with basilicum or 2 apples, peeled and cubed.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (soft / melted)
- 6 dates (pitted)
- Lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
- 6 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into thin slices.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk or homemade almondmilk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- pinch of sea salt
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Cut the butter in small pieces and mix with the flour and salt.
- Knead the dough and add water little by little until you have the right substance.
- Knead until everything is mixed well and you have a firm dough ball.
- Keep the dough 1 hour in the refrigerator
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius/350 fahrenheit.
- Mix the pulp, cinnamon, coconut, dates, lemon juice in a food processor and puree well.
- If you do not have it (store or home made): make the almond butter .
- Roll the dough into a thin layer and spread in a pie tin or small pie tins
- Spread the almond butter on top of the dough.
- Fill the pie(s) with a the pulp layer and press it very well.
- Cover the pie(s) with apple slices.
- Bake during 30-45 minutes or until the pie(s) is golden.
- Mix the water and sugar in a pan with a lid and bring to the boil (do not stir).
- Continue to cook until the mixture is golden brown.
- Stir the pan as the caramel cooks unevenly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter. Stir the butter well by the caramel.
- Then add the almond milk gently by the caramel.
- Warm the caramel again until you have reached the right consistency.
- Serve the cake with caramel.
Use one large or six small pie tins.