Pulp recipe | Apple pulp pie Jump to recipe
No apple pulp? Use apples 😉
Ai … it’s been a few weeks since I posted the apple pulp tarts photo on Instagram. The recipe would follow soon, I said … wOOps. It took a little longer than planned. I wanted to make something new with apple pulp for a while. And had apple pie plans as well. The choice to combine these two was made easily when Isaw the apple pie contest from Jamie Magazine on Instagram. That’s why I posted the photo on Instagram. And the recipe… yes… only now.
The reason for my delayed post: I lost my notes + my past month was to crazy busy for a remake of the pie. I better forget about the Jamie Magazine publication ;). Not that a recipe was required (it was all about the photo’s), but still… Anyhow, I finally made the pie again!
Apple pulp purpose
I made something with apple pulp before. Muffins. Nice, but not impressive. This pie is different. + Tasted, tested & approved by different friends. I’m glad with this good (and healthy too by the way) apple pulp purpose, since I juice apples quite often.
Crust, nut butter, apple pulp, slices of apple and caramel …
This apple pulp pie has sugar-free crust, a layer of nut butter, apple pulp with dates and lemon, a layer of apples and caramel … (without whipped cream – with almond milk). Quite a few elements. So, plan some time for preparing.
I’d love to know what you think about this no waste apple pulp pie!
Apple pulp pie
One large flat pie or six small cakes (see photo's)
Use one large or six small pie tins.
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Tip: use cold ingredients. It is best to keep the butter in the freezer (take out half an hour before usage) and the flour in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups pulp of an apple juice like this apple juice with basilicum or 2 apples, peeled and cubed.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (soft / melted)
- 6 dates (pitted)
- Lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
- 6 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into thin slices.
Optional caramel topping
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk or homemade almondmilk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- pinch of sea salt
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Cut the butter in small pieces and mix with the flour and salt.
- Knead the dough and add water little by little until you have the right substance.
- Knead until everything is mixed well and you have a firm dough ball.
- Keep the dough 1 hour in the refrigerator
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius/350 fahrenheit.
- Mix the pulp, cinnamon, coconut, dates, lemon juice in a food processor and puree well.
- If you do not have it (store or home made): make the almond butter .
- Roll the dough into a thin layer and spread in a pie tin or small pie tins
- Spread the almond butter on top of the dough.
- Fill the pie(s) with a the pulp layer and press it very well.
- Cover the pie(s) with apple slices.
- Bake during 30-45 minutes or until the pie(s) is golden.
- Mix the water and sugar in a pan with a lid and bring to the boil (do not stir).
- Continue to cook until the mixture is golden brown.
- Stir the pan as the caramel cooks unevenly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter. Stir the butter well by the caramel.
- Then add the almond milk gently by the caramel.
- Warm the caramel again until you have reached the right consistency.
- Serve the cake with caramel.